Social media has become so popular that now companies may see their consumer base to be synonymous with their social media platform friends, followers or fans! This makes a companies’ social media presence all the more important when it comes to live events such as concerts, festivals, fundraisers or trade shows. At Avalon Communications our clients attend many trade shows throughout the year- most recently Natural Products Expo, Engredea, Global Pet Expo and IHA!
For many consumer product companies, a trade show is a chance to get their products out there and increase brand awareness among attendees. Another important aspect of a trade show is the way attendees communicate with both each-other and the social world- something that has become increasingly important in today’s fast-paced society.
So, how exactly do you implement social media into a live event? We have listed a few key components below.
- Visit the Trade Show website. Here you can see which social media platforms they use and which ones you should use for your client- FOLLOW THEIR ACCOUNTS.
- Hashtag, Hashtag, Hashtag! Create hashtags that use your clients name, booth number and trade show-provided hashtag (usually the name of the show) so attendees can easily search a hashtag and find your booth! Chances are the trade show tag will be trending and your client will gain even more exposure!
- Post Pictures. This is a two-birds-with-one-stone type of deal. Not only are you getting exposure for your client, but people LOVE pictures and are more likely to re-tweet, like or share your image (bonus if the Trade Show account shares it)!
- Interact with people. This is very important- at the show some attendees may tweet you back asking where your booth is, when they should stop by or even post a picture at your booth. They also expect an immediate response from the company- so be sure you are keeping up with the conversation.
- Content is key. If there is one rule you should keep in mind when running a social media campaign for a live event- it is what you are doing with your content. Always include the booth number and name of your client so no matter what attendees will know where you are and who you are.
These are just a few of the tactics we employ at Avalon Communications when it comes to maintaining a social media presence at trade shows- and we hope this serves as a building block to social media success!