As 2013 comes to a close and 2014 nears, many are thinking about their New Year’s Resolutions. Some might want to spend more time with family, or lose those stubborn pounds, but what is your “Work” Resolution?
First you need to know what a Work Resolution is. A Work Resolution is similar to a regular New Year’s Resolution, but it applies to work!
Why is this important? At Avalon Communications, we believe that setting goals is important to not only encourage hard work, but create a system that in the end gives you the satisfaction of a job well done! Being that New Year’s is just around the corner, what better way to do so than with a Resolution!
There are many, many different types of Work Resolutions out there. Some include: Improve productivity, be on time more often, use time more efficiently or even improve your email response time. All of these are great ideas! If you are stuck on deciding what your Work Resolution should be, there is one idea that all Resolutions boil down to. Get Organized.
Organization is key in every aspect of life, and at work it is a MUST.
There are many ways you can go about this, but the key is to take baby steps. Here are some ideas:
- De-Clutter your desk.
- If you constantly have miscellaneous items scattered on your desk, you WILL get distracted. Make a habit by clearing your workstation every time you leave the office, this way when you come in the morning your mind won’t be overwhelmed with clutter.
- Clean up your email.
- This task is a must whether your have 1,000 emails or 100. You will be amazed by how much your productivity increases with the simple organization of emails! Not only will your response time improve, but you will be able to find emails faster (Rather than scrolling through all of them).
- Have a planner.
- Whether this is on your computer, phone or in a physical book- a planner is necessary. In any business there are sure to be a million things going on at once, and if you don’t organize them in some way one is bound to slip your mind.
- Sort the Files on your Desktop.
- If you turn on your computer in the morning only to see 200 Folders, Documents, Spreadsheets, etc. on your Desktop- you might want to organize it. Sure, you may be used to seeing all of the icons there but once it is cleaned up your brain will give a big sigh of relief.
Hopefully these tips help you start down the path to an Organized Workspace and help you reach your New Year’s “Work” Resolution!