With all of the new technology surrounding business in today’s society, brainstorming seems to be dropping off the radar—not because it isn’t effective, but because our minds are so used to the fast-paced and tech-centered way of life we don’t always take the time to do it.
Brainstorming by definition is a group or individual creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its members. But what happens when you can’t think of ways to successfully brainstorm? Since we know time is precious, we have listed some practices we employ at Avalon Communications below.
- Use a whiteboard: We know, basic right? But you would be surprised at how much it helps to see things written down clearly on a board. By organizing your thoughts on paper (or board) you can better organize them in your mind.
- Start thinking individually, then move into a group: It is better to think of your own ideas first, write them down and then share with the group. This not only streamlines your efforts, but you can see what others are thinking- giving you a new perspective on the issue at hand. Sometimes another member may have the same idea, but with a different angle- making for a great brainstorm!
- Put some crazy ideas out there: Sure, they may be unreasonable and unrealistic, but it may spark another member’s mind to come up with something great!
- No Judgment: No one likes to have their ideas thrown out the window. Make brainstorms a judge-free zone so everyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts.
- Listen: Most importantly you need to listen to other’s ideas. Do not just over-rule their ideas because you think you have a better one. Work together as a team!
These are just a few ways we find to be very successful in the workplace and hope they help you come up with some great ideas! Have some brainstorming tips of your own? Comment below!
Don’t forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook! Use #Brainstorm to submit tips!